Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Spread a Little Joy


At the moment I can't get the Philly Cream Cheese song out of my head. It's a good song to have in my head though.... "spread a little love today.... spread a little love my way... spread a little somethin' to remember.... spread a little joy.... and see a little happiness to be...
 Here's the link to listen for yourself if you like. 

I got to thinking about the idea of spreading joy yesterday as I chaperoned a field trip yesterday. My daughter's primary school violin group went to a senior center and then to a homeless shelter to bring a little lively music around town. As I expected, the seniors absolutely loved them. It was so fun to watch them sway to the music and smile at each other! What I didn't expect was the change of mood and energy in the homeless shelter. We entered the main area of the homeless shelter and walked past a few men sleeping on the benches and a couple of guys just sitting - in contemplation perhaps? I wondered if anybody would really appreciate these young kids with violins. Then the music began. People walked in from other rooms to see what was happening. Most of the men sleeping or daydreaming sat up and paid attention. The room filled quickly and the mood changed dramatically. The audience had smiles on their faces and some were tapping to the beat. Then the kids were asked to tell their names to the group. With the telling of names of these 7 - 10 year olds, came giggles, silly voices, and some energetic body and facial expressions. Just by sharing a little of their own joy, these kids brought a smile to some of the saddest faces I've seen in awhile. It was a gift to watch that happen and a great reminder that some of the best gifts in the world are the simplest - a smile, a giggle, simply sharing something you love.

I woke up this morning and saw this quote from Thich Nhat Hanh...

"When you feel overwhelmed, you’re trying too hard. That kind of energy does not help the other person and it does not help you. You should not be too eager to help right away. There are two things: to be and to do. Don’t think too much about to do—to be is first. To be peace. To be joy. To be happiness. And then to do joy, to do happiness—on the basis of being. So first you have to focus on the practice of being. Being fresh. Being peaceful. Being attentive. Being generous. Being compassionate. This is the basic practice. It’s like if the other person is sitting at the foot of a tree. The tree does not do anything, but the tree is fresh and alive. When you are like that tree, sending out waves of freshness, you help to calm down the suffering in the other person."

My experience yesterday and the quote today got me to thinking about practicing and sharing more happiness and joy. The voice from inside said....

"Do more of what you love and  you will be happier. Share what makes you happy and you will be fulfilled." This is exactly how I feel about teaching yoga. I'm looking forward to classes tonight and spreading a little love.




No comments:

Post a Comment