Monday, January 10, 2011

FooD!

I don't really think I can have a health and wellness blog without talking about food! So I guess this is as good a time as any to start the conversation. Food is intensely on my mind for several reasons. 1 - I'm in the middle of a food-based "cleanse" where you simplify your diet to give your body systems a break and help you find greater balance. 2- The topic of food and dieting is all over the media because diet and exercise resolutions are so abound right now. 3- My sweet doggie is not eating! So here I am cutting back on food for myself and doing everything possible to get her to eat something. To keep the topic light in my heart, I joke that she has simply decided that life isn't worth living if she has to eat dog food. So "master" has become "servant" (although it's never really been like that) and I find myself making special meals for her that my husband and I hand feed her.  All this situations are shining a light on the preciousness of food.

Food is life. Food is medicine. Food fuels us and feeds us. Food can give us great pleasure. Food connects us in celebration and conversation. But, food can also do all the opposite things. In this time of reflection, you might ask yourself what small changes you might make to both enjoy your food more and get more out of it.

If you are interested in paring down your diet, here are a few links that might have some good info. I am doing an Ayurveda Balancing Program in which I'm eating lots of kitchari + veggies. The food is actually very tasty but no doubt it will be new to a lot of you. I'm including a website with an article about it and another with recipes. Whole Living Magazine also puts out a great New Year's/New You edition each January. Much of the info is on their website. Check the links below and Eat Well!


http://www.wholeliving.com/photogallery/4-week-makeover
http://www.yogajournal.com/lifestyle/888
http://www.ayurveda.com/online_resource/kitchari_recipe.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment