Sunday, April 17, 2011

Welcome Spring

Well spring certainly has sprung here in our part of the world! This year it felt like it took an especially long time to thaw out. Just as soon as the thermometer reached that comfortable place the trees burst into blossom as if they too had been greatly anticipating the warmth and light of the sun. For as long as it took for the trees to blossom, it seems a shame how fast the first act of the show is over. Before you know it, we find ourselves amidst a shower of petals under a golden-green canopy.

The other evening as I walked amongst a parade of blooms, I found myself contemplating on just how fast the showy blossoming is in comparison to how long the trees and plants thrive throughout the spring and summer. While the blossoms are a wonder to look at with their beauty and flash, it is the mature foilage that feeds the trees and purifies our air. If you're around me or read my writings enough, you'll hear me talk over and again about how important I think it is that we, as a society,  overcome the negative connotations and judgements about aging. Perhaps we do lose the look of "freshness" and "smoothness," but hopefully with our years we also gain the ability to enjoy who we are as individuals and recognize more fully how we contribute and make a positive impact on the world around us. My wishes for you this spring season are peace, love and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment