Friday, April 8, 2011

A Breath of Fresh Air (& Allergies!)

Yesterday was the first day it felt warm and dry enough for me to open the windows and doors to let the fresh spring air rush through our home. (Although by the time this posts, I'm sure it will be raining again!) Wow! That fresh air felt so good blowing through the house. I could feel parts inside of me that had been hibernating spring back to life in an instant. Having an energy surge like that is vital because at the same time that the spring breezes and blosoms offer a lift to my mood they also carry allergic reactions.

As the trees burst into bloom, my body like many others, feels overwhelmed from all the pollen in the air. Though we didn't know it at the time, I have suffered from allergies for most of my life. I missed many days of school when I was little because for me the allergy reactions had always gone beyond just sneezing and runny eyes, at times I feel really sick. Allegra got me through my 20's and then finally near the age of 30, I saw an allergist only to find out that I'm allergic to almost anything that grows! Fat chance that I'll be avoiding nature because walking in the woods is one of my favorite activities. After several months of allergy shots, I gave up on them because they just made me feel worse.

So, after resigning to just deal with the symptoms, I was a little surprised to find my allergies easing up. I give credit to my yoga practice. It might be that the breath training that happens during a yoga practice has helped me keep myself more clear of the pollen, but I think more than anything, it's the way that yoga helps me alleviate my stress response. Knowing that allergies are said to be the immune systems OVER-reaction to blocking elements that it deems harmful to the body (aka pollen and ragweed), I've come to the conclusion that learning to be more proactive rather than reactive in my thoughts and actions has helped me calm my immune system and other body systems as well.

Then again maybe I should trust my body. Maybe this sudden onslaught of pollen isn't good for me. Maybe I should be glad that all this sneezing and watering is keeping me more pure and clear inside. (There I go looking on the bright side. Although it might be "annoying" to some, thinking like that does help me get through some rougher times.) The truth is I prefer not to feel sick during my favorite times of year. I think yoga is the biggest help to alleviate my allergy symptoms and I've stumbled on a few other good holistic ways to manage them throughout the years that I'll share with you here.

I eat local honey throughout the year. It must be LOCAL because the idea is that the honey contains elements of the pollen you'll be exposed to in the spring. Little doses throughout the year help get your resistance up in a gentle way. I put a drop in my morning tea so itt's yummy and comforting to boot.

First thing in the morning, gently blow your nose and use a Neti Pot. Personally I've never had much luck with the Neti Pot but I do have friends that swear by them.

The last couple of posts have been about Ayurveda. Ayurveda has lots to say about allergies. My friend Liz Stites, Ayurveda practitioner is offering a workshop this weekend and does one-on-one consulting. Her contact info is listed on the "What the Heck is Ayurveda" post.

Last and certainly not least. Check out a good yoga class that includes mindfulness, breath work and relaxation.Here's a link to my schedule. If you want help finding a good class in your area always feel free to contact me. www.flourishunlimited.com

Aaahhh-choo! and God Bless You

2 comments:

  1. so what were you doing up at 3:46am?!
    I had allergies as a child but fortunately they disappeared when I started running (around age 21) and eating more consciously. I really think diet, physical activity and emotions play big parts in alergic responses. Dairy and white flour might be the biggest culprits. I agree with Mary/neti pots are great but do need to be used consistently. I use x-clear everyday/it's much easier/even though I no longer have allergies/just a good idea to keep the nasal passages clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see now/the posting time is on pst...

    ReplyDelete