Thursday, March 3, 2011

Sometimes You Do Everything "Right" and It Still All Goes "Wrong"

For any of those of you who have been following along here, I apologize for my absence. I have been sick for over three weeks - not full on sick but definitely not functioning at my best. So, as I've spent the last two months (and really the last 10 years) talking about the importance of a healthy lifestyle to  stay well, I can't help but feel a little hypocritical for being "under the weather" for so long now. I guess more than anything though my illness is a small reminder of our own individual vulnerability. The truth is that while what we do does matter, it isn't everything. There are so many other forces at work in our lives than what we personally control. Because we can't control everything it is helpful to have an internal anchor to help us stay afloat when the seas get rough. 

The concepts of yoga are instrumental in helping each of us connect more fully to the internal anchor that is always present in our hearts and minds. A key element of the Anusara yoga style is to "look for the good first." By doing this we can begin to transform all the things that have gone "wrong" in our lives into experiences that allow us to connect with and understand the big picture of life more fully. The next time something "goes wrong" for you, perhaps you can look a little deeper and ask yourself what strength you might gain by moving through this experience. Life is certainly full of difficult challenges and we can either let them break us down or get stronger from them. 

I want to say a quick thank you to all those who have helped me over the past few weeks in the smallest of ways by covering for me at work, making me soup, helping with my kids, and just by being more gentle with me. This concept of being more gentle with people is one I will carry out of this last challenge. Being "sick" for so long has been a reminder of how possible and likely that someone may be walking along appearing to be completely normal on the outside but inside feels terrible. I think it's safe to say that most everyone really is doing the best they can with what they have. I think an extra dose of gentleness towards ourselves and each other is a great way to make the world a better place with very little effort.


2 comments:

  1. I think it helps if you can see 'illness' as a cleaning process and let it happen...are you feeling better?

    Ann Segal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann! I was actually remembering you saying that to me once just this past week!!!!!! It does help to think that way - it's just feeling long now;-) Oh I'm up and I'm down. It's hard to get good rest these days but I am getting some today! It was good to see you the other day even if it was for the briefest of moments.

    ReplyDelete